Friday, March 16, 2007

F1 vs NASCAR

I was reading an article that got my goat stirred up.

Who's better, F1 or NASCAR drivers.

I thought it would be interesting to read but then I got to the part that Michael Schumacher was fairly condescending in his reply. "It's more about tactics than driving skill. " I was holding it together because I am the proponent of "both sides of the coin", until I hit this debris:

When was the last time a former full-time NASCAR driver won a race on the F1 circuit? Then they alluded to Montoya's victory in Mexico. That's about where I snapped as that comparison is about as short sighted as Washington State politicians talking out their backside about NASCAR.

Why would NASCAR drivers go to another league, or type of car when they have it made pretty good where they are at?

Then they use the NASCAR side of the coin to push more points about F1. This was not a "Head 2 Head" column, but a NASCAR bashing with some after thought tossed in.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/racing/03/15/head2head/index.html

So 2 things. This brought out the NASCAR fan in me BIG TIME...
& Here's my response to their article that I sent in:

This was not a head 2 head case. You used both sides to illuminate F1's aspects from your perspective. You then point to Montoya's win in the Busch (training ground) series for CUP as some form of validation and you ignore most details that go into operating a CUP car in NASCAR. I don't mind "both sides of the Coin", because it makes great conversation, but you need to present both sides fairly. Do F1 drivers deal with 110+ degree heat for 3+ hours an event? Do they have to muscle the car through the race all day? Are F1 teams forced to qualify to make sure they are in the show? They are driving technologically advanced cars, and there's tons of tech to keep the car on the track.. How hard can that be? (See what I mean?)
Both sides have their own strengths and focuses. You said the only commonality is the 4 wheels. After that, where do they compare? Thanks for your time. I'm off to weigh the advantages of apples to oranges now.

It turns out the form I was filling out in rage was an email question form and it may be selected to be posted on their illustrious website. Arg.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, but I need to moderate to keep my spammer fans out of the comment zone....