Wednesday, July 10, 2013

NASCAR Will Not Penalize Any Team For Roof Flap Infractions

In a confusing bit of news, NASCAR announced today that they will not be penalizing any team that had the "illegal" modified roof flap spacers.

Competition inspections last week at Daytona had uncovered 31 teams across both the Cup and Nationwide series had the illegally modified spacer components.

NASCAR vice president of competition Robin Pemberton said that they determined that the altered parts did not impact functionality or safety aspects of the roof flaps, and that the on-track competition would not have been impacted by these lighter spacers.

-

I'm pretty confused.  I've seen many an alteration that has been penalized in the past that might have fallen under that category of "not impacting competition."

Wasn't it Carl Long who had a tiny engine infraction and was smacked with a $200k penalty?

This is the first time I've seen where NASCAR let the rule breakers slide. 

Was it because too many teams were doing it? 

Was there a lapse in rules verbiage that allowed teams an out?

And if any of those points I just questioned are valid, did NASCAR just not want to deal with 31 different appeal processes?

Wow...  that's all I'm saying.

Everyone got to skate this time around!

But now I'll wonder how long it will take for some of the noise makers out there to start grumbling about consistency from NASCAR.

To me, it seems inevitable.

-Bruce
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, but I need to moderate to keep my spammer fans out of the comment zone....