Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Frank Stodard Has John Wes Townley Driving His Cup Car???


Wow, when I heard that John Wes Townley was going to be in the NASCAR Sprint Cup race at Pocono this weekend, I was a bit stunned.  Townley has had a shot at some great equipment under the Roush and Childress garage roofs, but was "allowed" to look for other opportunities after creating a heap load of Ebay sheet metal opportunities.

John Wes Townley will be making his NASCAR Sprint Cup debut driving for Frank Stoddard.

But if you find yourself asking how the hell Townley can land a ride in the Cup Series over and above other, much more talented drivers in many series, well, there's a pretty good... well, reasonable explanation.

Money.

Townley is bringing a sponsor along with him to put on his RAB Racing ride this Sunday, Zaxby's.  And yes, Frank Stoddard is in search of funding.  The math made it happen, definitely not the talent... or I should say his apparent talent as indicated by his mulitple wrecks under multiple series and top-tier teams.

-

With that said, I can't imagine wanting something so much but not being quite there, for whatever reason.  Making it happen because one has the bucks, is everyone's dream.  You or I would probably do this if we had the chance.

I've had a chance to play with top-tier athletes in the realm of professional bowling.  I know what it's like to have a dose of reality shoved down your throat, frame after frame, for 16 long games in a long day.  I had the chance, I had the dose of reality.  And yet, I never quit trying while I could muster the money to compete.

So Townley manning up to be brave enough to tackle this, is something to see.  That Stoddard wants to keep his shop doors open is something I think we can all understand.

But...

I also expect to find somewhere on the web, an over/under set of odds on what lap John Wes Townley is going to wreck/exit the race.  I do expect him to do what he's done in the past.  We'll see if that's a vindicated expectation.

And then again, Townley and Stoddard might gel so well and come together and we might all see one huge surprise.  (To quantify, that huge surprise would be to not wreck and finish in the top-20.  And/or.

Just saying.

I wish him luck, but...

--
You can follow NASCAR-Bits-and-Pieces.com
on Twitter and/or Facebook .
- -

2 comments:

  1. Well, it appears that John Wes Townley only got into the first turn on the first lap of practice at Pocono before he stuck Frankie Stoddard's #32 Ford into the wall!

    With that crash Stoddard removed Townley, replaced him with another Truck racer, Jason White, and brought out his backup car!

    Maybe Stoddard learned a lesson.

    Richard Childress fired Townley a couple of years ago from his Nastionwide team for just that reason, wrecking all his equipment!

    Townley, however, has a lot of money backing him.....Zaxby's. I believe that Townley's Daddy is part of that restaurant chain's ownership!!!

    Money talks and BS walks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... that didn't take long! What a crying shame.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, but I need to moderate to keep my spammer fans out of the comment zone....