Wednesday, April 25, 2007

So Why Did Tony Leave the Track?

Tony Stewart said on his Tuesday Night Sirius Satellite show that NASCAR is playing god by all the debris cautions they are throwing, (20 in 9 races) in their attempt to create better racing. (I have to admit, if they drone on and on, it put's me to sleep and I miss the middle third ofthe race, easy if I'm not reporting on the race.) So Tony played mini-god, rebuked the system and left!!

I admit, the number of yellow flags looks 'interesting' at best. But the last time I did not agree with my employer's (yes, Tony is an independent contractor, but his checks come from his NASCAR participation, so for this example, I use the term employer) perspective, or have a bad day, I can't just leave. Of course, the moment NASCAR bends to the idea of not having a debris caution, and someone gets hurt, then what? It's a fine line they play, and they're playing it very interestingly.

As Tony said on his show, if it's a competition yellow, then they should call it that and be done with it. That way, the teams can set their cars up for the appropriate type runs. That being, sometimes a car can get better on longer runs, but isn't worth a cr*p on short runs, or just after a green flag restart, OR the setups lend themselves to outlast the competitors and get better on the longer runs.

Here's the thing: If Tony wants to affect change, he needs to set the example. He should have stayed, bit his lip for the moment, and done his 'job' that he ends up getting paid millions for.

(Come to think of it though, NASCAR drivers get no sick days. They are always there on Race day, isn't that amazing?)

USA Today

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, but I need to moderate to keep my spammer fans out of the comment zone....