Friday, September 12, 2008

Is The Truck Series Tight in Turn 2?

No, not tight! Way loose apparently!!

I've been hearing this, that and the other thing about the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series so I thought I'd not only toss out my opinion, but ask Charlie Turner over on On Pit Row his take. I'm glad I did because we've got some interesting material here! Chime in if you're inclined. No sign ups required.

What is Up With the Truck Series? Is it's existence at the televised national level in jeopardy?
Bruce: Craftsman is headed out of there after being the series sponsor since 1995. No one is lined up to slide into their spot. Rumors abound about the possibility of Dodge pulling out of the Truck series, and after all is said and done, will it just be called the Truck series next year? Will it be around after next year? At least at the national exposure it's been accustomed to getting? I just don't know. From a business stand point, though this just may be some of the funnest racing NASCAR has, is it still worth it to the marketers? I hate to say it, but I'm thinking no.

Charlie: I spoke with someone on Tuesday night who I believe knows what's going on. He thinks the truck series is a goner. Not only is Sears-Craftsman gone, but a near deal with Lowes-Kobalt brand for the title sponsorship was mis-handled and they backed away. Now it looks as if Ford and Chevy will pull out as well. NASCAR may move to consolidate the strongest of the truck and Nationwide teams into the Nationwide Series, to better be able to weather the increased investments that will be needed with the new NNS version of the CoT. The loss of the trucks opens dates for NASCAR's new baby, the Grand Am Series too.

Wow ... awesome insight Charlie.. thanks.

~~~

Of course Charlie didn't let me slide and tossed out a pretty good question my way:

Did Jack Roush sell out Matt Kenseth and Jamie McMurray, by raiding their teams of talent, in order to help entice Biffle and Edwards to re-sign?

You can check out our conversation over at On Pit Row.

As always, thanks for coming by everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, but I need to moderate to keep my spammer fans out of the comment zone....