Thursday, September 11, 2008

Hornaday Used Testosterone

Ron Hornaday Jr. has admitted to using testosterone for a period of 13 months prior to the substance being put on NASCAR's banned list.

Hornaday said he received the drug in shipments from December 2004 to January 2006. On top of this, the substance came from an anti-aging center that is in the middle of a few other drug scandals with the NFL and MLB.

When he was first questioned on the issue, he said the stuff was for his wife, but then changed his tune and said it was used to treat a medical condition, that later, turned out to be a hyper-active thyroid.

Having never informed NASCAR of this use, they are going to be 'chatting' with him prior to the NH race. Oh man, I would hate to be in his squirming shoes.

As we all know, NASCAR does not have any mandatory drug testing policy, though a few drivers have called for it. I always wondered why the drivers would call for something that didn't seem needed, unless they knew things we didn't and were sending a message, or tired of the cheating from someone else's angle.

I can see someone using drugs to compete in this sport. Driving those cars is no picnic.
  • I can't imagine sitting in 110+ degree heat for 3+ hours.
  • I can't imagine losing 5-12 pounds in 3-4 hours, all of it sweat.
  • I can't imagine driving a car with no power steering and still be accurate in controlling it for 3-4 hours.
I ain't no slouch, and I've driven a cup car at speed and it was tiresome after just 10 laps. The G-forces were ridiculous in the corners and maneuvering this cars takes an incredible mix strength and stamina.

These guys make it look easy, but they have the conditioning. It is because of this that I completely understand the call for drug testing.

I've been a fan of Ron Hornaday Jr. since that big yellow car back at Saugus Speedway in Saugus CA, and you guys who know him, know what I'm talking about. At first I never liked the guy and how he drove... sneaky, dirty, fendery... (Fendery: Using one's fenders to make room) But then one day there was a terrible accident during a race, and that big 'ol yellow car screamed to a stop and Ron got out to go help the driver . He didn't even take the caution flag. It was since that moment that I was a fan of his.

Am I disappointed? I think so. Will I recover? Yep. How will Ron fare in the publics eyes after this stint? That's a good question. You have to know Ron to be able to forgive him, much like one tend to forgive friends for one or two transgressions before giving up on them entirely.

source
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, but I need to moderate to keep my spammer fans out of the comment zone....