Sunday, February 15, 2009

Matt Kenseth's Rain Win and What I Thought About The Show


Last night I woke up with the flu. I had been feeling not quite right so I got up at around 4 am. I tuned into the Daytona Nationwide race repeat again and then from about 5 a.m. on SPEED had nothing but Daytona coverage.

I was fine with that. I'm laid out on the couch passing out here and there. I finally got to the FOX pre-race show and it was OK... nothing new.. well, not too much new.

They're using the same theme song from last year that annoyed my wife a lot. But I have to wonder if they're worried about their TV ratings.

Did you notice the mock victory lane celebrations in the show opening and the driver is surrounded by four really nice looking young girls in tight tee-shirts and short shorts? It's getting cheap about the lot... though I am not complaining.

Then there was the line that DW tossed out there about Chris Myers:
Chris is from Hollywood Fl., lives in Hollywood, CA; works in the Hollywood Hotel and works with Hollywood Hammond.
I bet he thought he was funny. I didn't. Someone said that exact thing on SIRIUS Satellite Radio a few weeks ago. Bad move DW... if you're using writers, they need to be fired. If you did that, you need writers.

But when they got to the animated schtick of Digger and friends, I lost it. They wasted my time with that stupidity and I just left the show.

I like the premise that they named the techonology they use to film from under the track surface as Digger. Cute. But giving it a comic book and cartoon that we have to suffer through just put me over the edge. I left and didn't come back until the green flag. Now maybe my patience is a little thin because I'm sick but I've had it with Digger. Cute, but intolerable. Don't shove that crap down my throat. Let me go find it for myself. UPDATE: See What The Digger Camera Looks Like.

As I wrap up this article, they're under a rain delay with 48 laps to go. If anyone has looked at weather.com and seen the radar, they've got at least an hour of rain and it looks heavy at times. Give it up folks. It looks like Matt Kenseth has this one in the bag. The wet paper bag.

Ah, just as I finished that paragraph, the race was called. There is some sense. Now I don't have to sit around in the rain delay.

I hate a non-racing win, but it is what it is. Right gang?

2 comments:

  1. Newsday is sitting down with Matt Kenseth on Tuesday to ask him 5 questions from his readers.

    Submit a question by following the link!

    http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/autoracing/blog/2009/02/ask_daytona_500_winner_matt_ke.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a crap finish in a crap telecast

    fox sucks and so does digger

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, but I need to moderate to keep my spammer fans out of the comment zone....