Saturday, June 21, 2008

A Fascinating Perspective About Road Course Ringers

by Bruce Simmons

Kyle Petty made a very interesting statement and it pretty much boiled down to how writers spend a lot of time and energy writing about the threat of road course ringers and yet a Cup driver wins the race every time and to be honest about it, every time we visit a road course we're always looking at Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson.  We also look at drivers like Robby Gordon, Terry Labonte, Joe Nemechek to be competitive in the race.

So while we talk about how a team devalues their regular driver with ringers, I'd suggest they put their drivers in some "quality time" with road course training like DEI did a few years back.  That way, they can show some in-team solidarity rather than quickly shuffling their primary driver to the back seat the moment a road course shows up in the schedule.

I'm just sayin', that's all.

Inspiration for this thought:  Sporting News


2 comments:

  1. I read what Kyle had said, but I don't think that it's necessarily entirely true. There's been a few times in recent years that Boris Said and Scott Pruett were both making a serious bid to win the thing, so I think the possibilities are definitely there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that Tim, but no matter how close it gets, something always seems to happen.

    I think it would at least validate this shell game if a ringer actually did win!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, but I need to moderate to keep my spammer fans out of the comment zone....