Thursday, March 19, 2009

NASCAR, Our Country And Our Flag

Today, I thought I'd share an [edited] email I received from a reader who made an observation about a specific part of the pre-race ceremonies that we watch on television:

Hi Bruce

I just want to say something that should be evident to all that love our Country and Flag.

This scene is weekly and does not specifically point to any one person. But to illustrate my example, the other week at Atlanta, Jeff Gordon was standing next to a two star General while the Star Spangled Banner and the Flag was being honored . The General was saluting and Jeff was in a complete DAZE , looking disgusted and with his hands to his side. I am a retired disabled Veteran and I find this scene to be so disgusting I can hardly hold my composure. I would consider Jeff Gordon a nincompoop or a disrespectful idiot to not Honor our Flag or anyone else in NASCAR for that matter, standing around ignoring the most respectable symbol we have in our Country.

Enough said. I hope you can let someone in NASCAR know exactly how I and many, many more feel about this unsightly scene.

Thank you
Louis A. S., Tsgt USAF Retired

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and observations on this issue Louis. 

I've seen what you say quite a few times with different drivers and I think they've gotten too comfortable with the process at the beginning of an event.  Yet I don't care how many times they have to do this, this is where they set an example for others, or set their own image as they show their respect for our nations flag.

Get on the ball guys, we and all of America are watching.  Set an example.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, but I need to moderate to keep my spammer fans out of the comment zone....