Wednesday, March 20, 2013

It Seems That My SiriusXM Subscription Is Getting Ad Heavy

I don't know about you but when I pay for a service, I sort of expect it.  And since I am paying for a service, I don't expect as many ads as I might get on terrestrial radio or basic TV networks.  You would think.  But today, was a beast of a different color from my SiriusXM subscription.

First things first:

My Sirius Satellite radio rarely ever strays from the NASCAR channel, unless they change then number, then I change my channel.  And I love the content.  Before the day is out, you pretty much are up-to-date.

With that said, today was an interesting experience that I had not thought about, but the amount of ads on the NASCAR channel are starting to grow to an obnoxious rate.

I say that because today I had the opportunity to get in my truck for multiple 5 to 10 minute spells. 
My first ~10 minute spell, I had mostly ads, and a minute of content.
The second ~10 minute spell, just before my lunch break, nothing but ads.
The third ~10 minute spell, mostly ads and teasers about what's coming up.
The fourth bit of time, preview of the upcoming show (no content) and ads.
And my fifth bit or spell of time, several minutes of ads and an obscure piece about the White House.  No NASCAR.

Today was interesting and most disappointing.

Now I get that being in the vehicle for short spats is not the kind of consumer this product is aimed at.  But these random times that I turned on the radio could serve as a statistical random sampling.  They weren't at the same time in each hour, but just when I had the time to hit up the truck to go somewhere.  And the other aspect of the process was that the ads seemed louder.  Seriously?  Hmm.

I've been noticing this inundation of ads on and off over the last few weeks, but I've never been in my truck as often today as I usually am and I am starting to rethink my subscription here.

If there were any other reason for having my SiriusXM radio, I'd probably drop it.  But the NASCAR news content does eventually pay out with good information.  You just have to put up with a lot of useless advertising for my libido, my truck driving career, the Hopper and a few other supporters of the subscription service.

Now I know that advertisers keep the wheels turning (no pun intended) on any entertainment business.  It's how the world works.  But dang, I'm paying someone to advertise to me and out of approximately 50 random minutes, I had about 10 or so minutes of content today.  Not a good day for me for news.  At least through this venue.

Now sure, if I were hauling down the road in a regular 20 - 40 minute commute, I would have been apprised of about an estimated 25 minutes of content.  But today, my random sampling left me wanting more than sound bytes for my testosterone.

-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, but I need to moderate to keep my spammer fans out of the comment zone....