Thursday, March 28, 2013

Denny Hamlin: After Missing Races, Can He Still Make the Chase? WHO CARES!

Yes, I said that... who cares if Denny Hamlin makes the chase for the Cup in 2013.  But I say that with good intent in my heart.  I think any fan of Denny's has to adopt that perspective because of the situation.

THE MOST IMPORTANT aspect to take away from the situation right now, is that Denny Hamlin get better and be able to lead a healthy life that's not threatened by this spinal cord injury.  He needs to heal, first and foremost.

If Denny tries to do things too fast or too soon, it could be an uglier recovery period.

The Points:  Let It Go

About all this points pondering/guessing, folks, you are only going to drive yourself crazy.(er)

I can appreciate all the guessing math-a-bitical (Yes, I just made that word up.) work everyone is doing in trying to see if or how Denny could possibly still make the Chase.

And sure, it is.  It's a long shot, but it's possible.

All I do is think back to Tony Stewart's hugely successful run in the Gen-5 (COT) car at the late stages of the season he took the trophy home, so yes, it can be done.  (Uh ho, I said that bad 3-letter word)

In the best situation, Denny is back in the car in 5 races.  But if something goes wrong with his recuperation, it could be longer.  If nothing goes wrong, he's got his work cut out for him.

Sure, if he finishes with "x" points every single race after his return, he might be able to make the Chase.

Aside from Tony's stellar, last-ditch effort in that one year, who else has ever made that kind of run in recent years?

Who else is worried about the little factor called luck?

Luck can make or break a driver.  Luck can break a $5 part on the car.  Luck can put a tiny hole in a tire.  Luck can put an entire car into your fender.  Luck can give one the flu.

I can also appreciate that everyone's guessing games involves the absolute best and dazzling good luck possible.

But some fans should brace themselves for the potential reality of the situation.

-

From my perspective, I'm pulling for Denny to heal up properly so he has a long racing career.  When he comes back, all he needs to do is his job.  I don't want to get my hopes too high and have them dashed on the rocks if something doesn't pan out.


If he does return and starts to outperform everyone at every single race, then my eyebrows will go up and the excitement will build.  But until then, I'm trying to stay Zen about it.

When he returns, all Denny Hamlin really has to do is his job and the results thereof, will keep his sponsors happy and his fans too.  Doing his job will be what he has to focus on once he returns.  If he distracts himself with all the other math-abetical probabilities, well, that could be self-defeating. (Yup, another new word!)


If Denny has a strong recovery, he'll show us how he's feeling with his work behind the wheel.

-Bruce Simmons

1 comment:

  1. I, too, echo your sentiments about Hamlin healing as the primary concern. If he heals properly, then all other concerns will fall into place!

    Having said that, it is highly unlikely that he could make the Chase on driver points. He could make it on owner points, if things work out in a certain manner.

    I may add that it is my position that NASCAR, ISC, Bruton Smith's organization,and all the associated organizations that control the racing venues, band together to ensure that SAFER barriers are in place ASAP, at all venues, to endure the driver's safety!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, but I need to moderate to keep my spammer fans out of the comment zone....