Friday, May 4, 2012

NASCAR is at Talladega & All You Wreck-Fest Fans Can Be Happy

NASCAR is at the Talladega Superspeedway, the place where the "big one" (Racing accident involving 5 or 10 and upwards of 15 cars sometimes) tends to happen, more often than not.  That means for those of you who seem bored with good quality race track action this year, you might just want to tune in and check out the NASCAR race this weekend, no matter which series it is.  Though if all you are is a wreck monger, I'd bet the Nationwide Series event on Saturday is where you'll get more bang for your buck.

This season has been a bit of an eye-opener for me as fans would seem to be getting bored with races that have fewer cautions.  This has the industry chatting about what it is the TV fan wants.  And from what I've seen, the TV fan wants to see wrecks.  I get it.

More than 15 years ago, I use to make sure, if anything, I'd tune into the Talladega and Daytona races from NASCAR because the racing accidents are spectacular.  Back then, I didn't care who was driving what or who was in the standings where.  No...  just show me racing and the inevitable wreck.

Since those days, I've come to appreciate the actual form of racing.

Getting a race car on the track and winning takes more than getting inside and turning left repeatedly.  It takes a driver who can repeat the motions of "turning left" with inhuman precision.  It takes guts to be turning left and having your back wheels chirping and kicking out to the right at 160 to 200 mph.  Guts and talent, which I appreciate watching.

I am in the minority when I say I like the in-car and bumper camera shots.  But again, those shots exemplify the talent and daring going on during the race.  I sit, marveling at how the cars bounce about and not hit each other at 200mph.  But then again, that's because of the drivers constantly counter steering against the improbably act of physics trying to do its thing while the drivers are trying to keep the car going forward at an insane speed where the back tires are trying to pass up the front end of the car.

And the engineering, whether it be on-the-fly, or in the garage at home before getting to the track, is an amazing feat.  A combination of scientific factors of weight management combined with the effects of tire wear and driver skill all come together on the track during the race.

That's the prize for me.  But I'm not your regular TV fan.

I've seen the regular TV fan revel in the wrecks at the sports bar and I get why Fox panders to them with their ads full of carnage.  And if anyone is seriously hurt or killed, the fans & Fox they'll commiserate with the masses later, while Fox ignores how they glorify the wrecks in their marketing.

-

So sure, the huge wrecks are an incredible event to watch but I'm not sure I enjoy the actual results, the injuries to the drivers or fans and all the time and money spent creating these demo-derby cars.  If you really need to see wrecks, watch those Fox shows that show wrecks. 

Better yet, support your local small track and hit them up when they have figure-8 races or demo-derbies.  That way you'll support your local racing industry while getting this need for carnage out of your system.

Me, I'm here to watch the tactics, planning and racing itself.  But that's just me and I'm weird that way!

--
NASCAR-Bits-and-Pieces.com on Twitter & Facebook .
- -

1 comment:

  1. Bravo Bruce!
    I, too, am loving the "new Bristol" and its side-by-side racing. The quality of racing this season is the best that I have seen in recent years!

    However, I do really love going to Daytona,Talladega, Phoenix, and Las Vegas, and all that those tracks offer in good, fast, side-by-side, and pack racing.

    Nevertheless,I think that Bruton Smith is making a HUGE mistake grinding the top groove of Bristol.

    If he, Bruton Smith, wants to fill seats,lower ticket prices!!!!

    This week NASCAR is in EARNHARDT COUNTRY, "Sweet Home Alabama"!!!

    GO #88!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, but I need to moderate to keep my spammer fans out of the comment zone....