Sunday, January 25, 2009

Camping World Truck Series Bits and Pieces

NASCAR CAMPING WORLD TRUCK SERIES

The Truck Series: New Look, Same Tough Trucks

After 14 years with Craftsman, 2009 has the new title sponsor in Camping World. It's a shame. We've gotten used to the Sears brand leading the way for the trucks, but now we have RV's holding down the fort!

New Team for Defending Champ

Johnny Benson managed to edge Ron Hornaday Jr. by a mere seven points for the 2008 Truck Series title in the second closest championship battle in series history.

Benson will be defending his title with a new team, as he and crew chief Trip Bruce made an off-season move to Red Horse Racing.

He will also compete to become the series first back-to-back champion in series history but can he do it in a new team? Why the heck did he jump ship in a team that got him to the championship? I firt thought he had it with racing and was looking for something else to do, or was that just noise to help his transition. These team moves just don't happen. They develop over a long period of time. You and I go for a job interview and that's that. Drivers have an intricate series of issues to negotiate. Product, sponsor, image, purse share, salary, diecast etc., etc.. What I'm saying is that I suspect he was working on this move all last or most of last year.

Count On Ron Hornaday For 2009

Three-time series champ Ron Hornaday Jr. will probably be a threat for 2009. I'm sure Hornaday would like to add a fourth title to his resume as he drives the No. 33 Camping World/Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) Chevrolet team with crew chief Rick Ren.

I think he'll have a chance, but the on thing I've noticed in him is that he tends to overdrive his equipment. It showed most prominently in the "Nationwide" series when he ran there. Whether he just gets too excited or it's just his go-get-'em nature, it does gel well in the trucks. Yet patience is still key. I think he's got that chance, regardless. The Truck Series suits his style of driving. I used to watch him when he ran at Saugus Speedway. Wha? Where? Small track in So. Cal when he ran that big yellow modified many, many moons ago.

Bodine Looks to Become First Daytona Repeat Winner

Todd Bodine, the 2006 Truck Series champ is hoping to be a repeat winner in Daytona with his No. 30 Germain Racing team at Daytona International Speedway. If he does repeat the win on February 13, he would become the first repeat winner in the series at Daytona.

Do you think he can pull it off? If the last few years are any clue, I think he has a pretty good chance of making this milestone, barring the usual noise that happens with tires or other wayward facing (wrecking) trucks.

Braun Racing For A Golden First

Colin Braun, the 2008 Raybestos Rookie of the Year, faces a bit of pressure in 2009. The 20-year-old Roush Fenway Racing sophomore has two goals in his sights -- his first career win and Roush's 50th victory in the series.

No pressure there!
source: NASCAR media

4 comments:

  1. Excellent article, Bruce! Not only has change come to Washington, but it has found its way into NASCAR! First in the Winston/Nextel/Sprint Cup Series and now in both the Trucks and Busch/Nationwide Series! I have found the Camping World Truck races to be some of the most exciting NASCAR races week in and week out.

    Your reference to Hornaday is very accurate. The wily old veteren takes no prisoners. He is the king of the restarts, for sure!
    For the truck series drivers, the championship goes right through Ron Hornaday and Mike Skinner!

    You referenced Saugus, which must mean tha you are a West coast/LA kind guy??? I grew up in the San Joaquin Valley myself....Fresno to be exact. I saw a lot of good drivers in the 60's and 70's come out of the Super Modifieds there!!

    I can't wait to head to Daytona on Feb.11th for the big four races of the Daytona 500 weekend!!

    Bruce, keep up the great journalism!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Leon. Yea, when I went to Saugus, I used to live about 5 miles from there...

    I used to HATE Hornaday. He was more aggressive than any other driver out there. You knew he'd get up front via his fenders.

    Then one day a horrific crash happened in the back stretch where a car flipped over off the turn 3 wall.

    Ron didn't even take the yellow. He stopped and got out to help. That instant is when I became his fan and forgave all his on-track transgressions.

    Thanks for coming by Leon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Bruce, it is truly “musical chairs” this off season! I haven’t seen this much turmoil in one season in all the years that I have been following racing!! Your are probably wise in waiting till ‘ol DW says “Boogity, boogity, let’s go racin’ boys” to list the changes! But I wanted to, at least, try to give everyone a “heads up” on where everyone went after Homestead! Although all the pieces have not all fallen into place, the picture is starting to get into focus.


    Thanks for your input on my web page!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bruce,
    I just added a link to your web site over on my page so that my readers can read your stuff,too!

    Again keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, but I need to moderate to keep my spammer fans out of the comment zone....