Friday, November 7, 2008

How Would We Get More Folk Tight in Turn Turn 2?

Charlie Turner and I dabble some more in the Tight, no grip reaches of Turn 2. Today, I wonder how we more people can be lured to the track

The economy is hitting everyone. (Yea, I'm bringing that up again). Watching clips from last weekend, I saw seat colors peppering through the mass of fans in the stands at the Cup race in Texas.

Right now, when they look at track locations, NASCAR looks at the marketable fan within a reasonable distance, as far as location and marketing go, and if I remember correctly, they try to look at markets in a 400 mile range from a track location, optimally. Though they still expect outliers from as far away as 600 miles, 400 is the magic number.

I am not sure if it's driving or flying, though I suspect driving is the main mode of attendance when they think of attendance.

Charlie asked me about If I could change one thing in NASCAR, what would it be?, and In going with that theme of picking one thing, what would you do to help increase attendance in these tough economic times?

Face it, now a days, we have to be pretty picky on where we spend our money these days.


Bruce: On-site (track) rebates. You drop your ticket stub in bins and they pull out a fair number of winners, not 1, not 10, not 50, but a percentage of the attending crowd and give them cold hard cash back and discounts to future events so people can buy better seats!

Whether it be $10, or $20 or whatever, make it worth their while and get some sponsors in on it so the onus is not entirely on the track. This would even absorb a bad weather day to some degree if a race gets rained out.

What's your take on that idea Charlie? I'm open to amendments. And, what would your one change be for getting more people to the track?


Charlie Turner from On Pit Row

Charlie: I'm actually stealing the idea - or maybe joining the cause is more accurate - of Mike Mulhern.

Mulhern has been ragging on NASCAR to do something about the exhorbitantly high costs of hotel rooms on race weekends in the vicinities of the tracks. I think the empty seats you see may be due more to that than gasoline or ticket prices. Maybe NASCAR or the track promoters could pressure local Chambers of Commerce to make staying in town more affordable.

Good one Charlie!

Any other thoughts or ideas? Readers comments are always welcome here on NASCAR Bits and Pieces.

My Link to Charlie's Question over On Pit Row, about what one thing we can change to improve NASCAR Cup racing.

image credit: Wikipedia Commons

2 comments:

  1. I have to agree, going to a race is way pricey. I went to Daytona, with airline tickets, race tickets, rental car and hotel room (btw I had to stay at Cocoa Beach because no hotel in Daytona or closer would let you book a 3 night stay!!!!) (When I arrived I saw rooms available everywhere I went!!! An example of hotel greed at its finest!!!) I spent over $2000.00 Thats not even including food or souvenirs!!!
    With that said, I live in Las Vegas. Our strip hotels are pricey, but they do not force you to prolong your stay or make you drive in from Laughlin Nv!!!
    I went to the Phoenix race, but due to the economy I could only go for one day. I woke up at 3, and drove. I was there by 9, had breakfast, hung at the track, watch the WHOLE race, jumped back in my car and was home by 10 p.m. Not ideal but including the price of my tickets (2) gas, food, beverages, parkas, souvenirs and Fan-view the total spent was 406.00!!! And I got to split that!!!!
    If NASCAR wants to fill those seats they have to make it more affordable!!!! Its promoted as a family sport. Both of those prices would have doubled had I not gone with another paying adult!!!! I think some sort of rebate would be ideal. At least you have a chance at getting some of your money back.
    Kendria

    ReplyDelete
  2. That kind of money is nuts and yes, hotels see the demand, know they have the supply, and twist our wallets.

    Thanks Kendria. I appreciate the extra info.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, but I need to moderate to keep my spammer fans out of the comment zone....