Tuesday, September 3, 2013

RCCA Disappoints With Their Breast Cancer Awareness Diecasts

The other night I was looking through one of my latest catalogs from RCCA, the premium provider of NASCAR (and other racing) diecasts and took note of a particular section of the catalog.

You see, October is breast cancer awareness month.  In case you had not noticed, the pace car last weekend at Atlanta was PINK!  And throughout the month, you'll be spotting cars with pink highlights, if not completely pink, in and of itself.

This is the annual drive to make people aware of breast (and any other kind of) cancer that's out there.

One in eight women find themselves diagnosed with breast cancer, and it's a scary situation to find yourself and your loved in, if it ever happens to you.  (To be honest, 1 in 8 is a scary high number.  Go ahead, real quick, think about or look around and count the women in your vicinity...  see what I mean?)

Oh, and if you're a man, don't think you're immune either.

Though the number seems miniscule, or that it helps you think it "won't happen to me," think again, as every 1 in 10,000 men are diagnosed with breast cancer and a man dies every day from it.

Cancer is cancer, and it's a frightening, ugly experience to have to deal with.  It impacts 1 in 3 people.

But people can do many things to help the fight against breast cancer.

Donating to a charity of your choice that fights the good fight is noble.  And don't by shy.  Even a mere $1 can help.  (My premise behind that theory is if everyone watching a NASCAR race would chip in JUST ONE DOLLAR, and say 4million viewers are watching any one particular race, then we, as a whole, can make one hell of a contribution.)

Oh, but wait, so what about RCCA you ask?

I had come across their pink diecast pages in one of their latest catalogs and to be honest, though I'm on a budget, I was preparing to drop a pretty penny on one of their awareness diecasts.

But when I started looking around, I did not see anywhere, where RCCA would donate 'x' dollars from each purchase to the fight.  This is only an awareness campaign for selling pink NASCAR diecasts.  (Unless I totally missed the declaration itself, that is.)

For me, if I'm going to support it and buy stuff, I will only buy from a reputable source (RCCA is very reputable), but also, only from a source who will contribute part of my purchase price to the fight.

Or what the hell, just dig up some sites that deal directly with contributing and go from there.

- - - - - - - -
National Breast Cancer Foundation
National Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Healthline Breast Cancer Anatomy
- - - - - - - - - - - - -

So my only disappointment is the lack of contributions to the cause.  Last year, I took note that even though NASCAR was making you aware, they weren't doing much themselves in the contribution department.  It seemed that that premise lay solely on the drivers and teams shoulders.

But that's just me.

--
There's more on breast cancer at my parent site, if you're interested.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, but I need to moderate to keep my spammer fans out of the comment zone....