Monday, July 14, 2008

Ryan Newman, Free Agent or ??

by Bruce Simmons :

It was announced today that my man, Ryan Newman, will have his ties cut with Penske Racing at the end of the 2008 season.

Ryan was looking to weigh his options, but Penske Racing jumped the gun on that one and announced today that the waiting is over and they've made the decision for him.

Ryan's had a lousy year aside from the Daytona 500, and he wanted to balance out what options lay where... so much for that plan.

Ryan's record has:
243 starts
13 wins
63 top-five's
105 top-10s.
He can also tout 43 poles to his credits.

Penske right now is probably looking at Casey Mears or David Stremme to put in the ill-fated No. 12 Dodge. I only say that because no one has amounted to much in that car, but then again they could call Martin Truex Jr. to come on over!

So where does Ryan go? What options are there for him?

Popular lore for the moment is the odds on favorite of joining Tony Stewart at Stewart Haas Racing. (SHR) But there are other, though improbable options.

There's the newly available seat in the Gibbs garage, but we think that Joey Logano may be slated for the No 20 Toyota. There's also RCR.

More than likely, I think Ryan's headed to SHR. Hopefully we'll hear in a little while.

As for me, this will be the last year for my growing collection of Ryan Newman / Alltel diecasts where the count stops at 75 with the 2008 car. Now I gotta wait and see what new sponsor will be adorning my display case and walls next year!

source: nascar.com

2 comments:

  1. does he even have any options?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, he does.

    Like I noted above: RCR, Gibbs, Stewart Haas.

    One other team has even offered ownership to Ryan, but not sure who that is... yet.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, but I need to moderate to keep my spammer fans out of the comment zone....