Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Bruton Smith Wants Black Outs

It's bad enough that it's very expensive to go watch your local NASCAR Sprint Cup races at the track itself.  At least we have TV.  That we can afford.

But if Bruton Smith has anything to say about it, he wants to treat NASCAR like other stick and ball sports and black out the races in their local markets if the track doesn't sell out.

WTH is he thinking?  SO we get to watch all the prerace shows and then get dumped?  Nice.  So we are going to get punished for not being able to afford to buy tickets, buy track food and the costs of traveling to the track.  That would mean that no one in So Cal would have seen a Fontana race live in the last couple of years.  Sales have been on the slump there for some time.

I get where he's coming from.  Track sales are dwindling.  Then again if they weren't so damned expensive, maybe they wouldn't be.  Personally, I hate the rain policies.  If it rains, your plum out of luck.  It makes me leery to commit funds to the whim of the weather.

But regardless of understanding his take, obviously the man who owns Atlanta, Bristol, Charlotte, Sonoma (Calif), Texas, New Hampshire, and Las Vegas does not realize that some of us are walking or biking to work to save our monies because there's a recession going on.  I live in an expensive zip code.  One of the most expensive in the country and no one here seems to notice there are money problems going on.  (NO, I;m not one of them....)  I guess Smith falls in that category and is completely dissing his fan base, no matter how dwindling it seems to be.

[source of my angst:  Hampton Roads]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, but I need to moderate to keep my spammer fans out of the comment zone....