Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Daytona 500 Qualifying, Visually Explained!

OK, I've put the words out there that technically explains how the qualifying process for NASCAR's Daytona 500 works.  And the outline makes perfect sense.  That is until cars got out on the track and suddenly we have scenarios about who if and what if!

You can check on my list of D500 qualifying speeds from Sunday.

So I drummed up this chart that lays it out a bit visually and maybe it will help you too, like it did me:

(click for larger version)

In this chart, I point out

A:  The top-35 guaranteed starters

B:  The top-3 cars outside the top-35 (On Speed)

C:  The positions that are outside the first 38 spots and cars looking to fill spots (Outside, Looking In)

D:  Past Champion Provisional.

Here's the kicker:

During Thursday's Gatorade Duels, starting positions will be set for spots 3 through 42.

BUT

If cars that are in category B (On Speed) actually find themselves posting finishing positions that don't require their qualifying speeds from last Sunday, then the next few cars with the next fastest speeds from last Sunday will start filling spots in the starting field.

PLUS,

If Terry Labonte finishes in his Duel in such a position that does not require using his past provisional, then Bill Elliott can step up and take that Past Champion's Provisional Spot!

Of course as these spots shuffle around, that puts the thumbscrews to the few teams on the outside, looking in.

Now, does it make better sense?  Once I drew this on my white board in my office, it looked to make a bit more sense... I think!  LOL.

Of course, there's always Plan B, the plan I used to deploy heavily in my early years of being a fan of NASCAR:  On Thursday afternoon, tune in and find out who's racing on Sunday!!!

But then, where's the fun in that?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, but I need to moderate to keep my spammer fans out of the comment zone....