Monday, December 10, 2007

Separate Points System for Chase Contenders - NO

Before the final race at Homestead this year, I saw a snippet with Darrell Waltrip making an emphatic point that the chase contenders need their own points system.

It got me to thinking and in a quick email conversation with David Poole who was very quick to point out it would not matter.

I tend to believe David in some of the things he says, but I want to know for a fact if this is true, and sure enough, it's true... A separate point system would make no difference.

I simulated 1 to 10 points per driver in the chase, 10 going to the highest placed driver, 1 the lowest. I picked up a ten race gap of time, and whether they had a 1 to 10 point system, or used the points given them in a race, starting at the top, of 185 decreasing from there, the same guy won, the same guy came in second, the same guy came in third.. well, you get the point.

A separate points system would be moot. The only, I repeat, ONLY thing it could do, would fabricate a close points race, which would be some tricky tool to make it look like a close points scenario, when in fact, it would only seem close.

Thanks David for setting me in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, but I need to moderate to keep my spammer fans out of the comment zone....