Tuesday, June 10, 2008

NASCAR Finds Themselves In a Discrimination Suit

An ex technical inspector for the Nationwide Series is suing NASCAR for $225 million, where she reports that she was on the receiving end of racial and sexual discrimination, sexual harassment and wrongful termination.

Mauricia Grant said she loved her job but there was an ongoing daily pattern of abuse during her tenure in the ranks of NASCAR from January 2005 until October of 2007 when she was let go.

She cites fascinating nicknames that the officiating staff used to reference her (You can follow the link because I am not putting that here) and various unwanted sexual advances.

The lawsuit lists 23 specific incidents of alleged sexual harassment and 34 specific incidents of alleged racial and gender discrimination.


Here's what I'm thinking: If this is true, this is going to really hurt NASCAR's image as an equal opportunity employer and their Drive for Diversity. On the other hand, I'm surprised at the allegations. My own perceptions from my few visits at the tracks or watching television, I have a hard time wrapping my mind around this. She sites very specific incidents in the article I've linked to, and some of the items just shock me that someone would actually say or do some of these things, period. Then again, I live a sheltered life inside my lab hole at work.

Like I always like to say, Time will be the telling factor in this matter.

Source: FoxSports

4 comments:

  1. *Sighs*

    Does it ever end?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is nothing but funny to me, there's no way she lost that much in wages and she never made any reports while hired. She was probably let go for good reason and this slander is just another reason in NASCAR's defense to fire her. Plus does she really think she can beat NASCAR in NC???? She's just diggin for gold.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charles, I believe you reflect the opinion of many, from what I can tell so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously ... this lawsuit's a complete joke, and an aggrevating one at that. I'm not naive enough to believe that discrimination doesn't exist in NASCAR to a certain extend, but this lady's gone way overboard. After NASCAR wins the suit, I'd love to see the prosecution go after her for perjury.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, but I need to moderate to keep my spammer fans out of the comment zone....