Wednesday, August 29, 2007

In Case you Wonder what Happens when Sponsors Don't Come Through

Lack of support prompts cancellation of Champ Car season-finale at Phoenix.

he promoters of the season-ending Champ Car World Series event in Phoenix on Dec. 2 have cancelled the inaugural event due to a lack of sponsor support.

“An event of this magnitude requires considerable corporate support and, though we did establish some outstanding partnerships, there were simply not enough of these to create economic viability,” said Dale Jensen, owner and managing member of the Sports Property.

thatsracin.com

For Champ car fans, that must suck.

I attended the Champ car event at the San Jose Grand Prix this year and it was interesting to say the least. I had a free pass to the Friday practice and qualifying and went to check it out.

After they sorted out their ticket booth problems, finished constructing the entrance on my side of the track, and resolved their internet connectivity issue, I was finally able to get only 45 minutes later than planned!

I also had to pay for a full day's worth of parking when their website said it was only $5.

Otherwise, I found it interesting and enjoyed how they qualified, being little mini races going on for timed laps with traffic in your way and they had a mix of different type cars running on the track. Of course, I missed the classic NASCAR race that day due to needing to be somewhere at the same time, but it seemed they were the cars from yesteryear! It was cool to see those.

Pretty soon I'll post pics from that day...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, but I need to moderate to keep my spammer fans out of the comment zone....