Tuesday, June 26, 2007

What to do with Infractors, an Article by Bruce

Yea, it's a new word. It's a play on infractions, and those who accumulate them.

But in all seriousness, it's a pickle that NASCAR is in as to what to do about it. At the moment, they are being as stern / strict as they've ever been with uncovered violations, and there is some anticipation that Knaus will get an even stiffer penalty than the others because of his past digressions.

I've heard radio talk shows where the callers say send the whole team home for a race, or even 6 races!

As much as I'd like to see violators given the proper "stick", let's think about this for a moment: Say you bought tickets to go to New Hampshire a few months ago. Now say one of the main reasons you are going, your team that you like rooting for, isn't going to be there.

In my past, when my guy gets taken out of a race, I feel like, what's the point if I can't scream and yell in support of him every time he goes by? Now I have 42 cars I somewhat don't care about. (I think my seat neighbors would get tired of me randomly yelling out supporting cheers for a car that isn't even on the track!)

You also threaten the sponsorship contracts. Why would someone want to sponsor a team or driver that may miss any number of races due to their proclivity to cheat? And sadly, our beloved sport is based on a certain amount of relationship based, financially supportive advertising that allows us to see our drivers on tv, in print, and in the ever growing output of the newspaper, as is evidenced by the coverage Montoya's win got last weekend.

Bruce's take:
Start suspending random crew members. Take a teams primary tire changer out for a race. We've seen that suspending the crew chief doesn't seem to impact the team much. One race suspensions are good for everyone. Crew members, drivers, what not. Multi-race suspensions will only hurt the business.

Heck, since we're suspending people, we might as well dole out community service! Hey Jimmie Johnson, get up to the end of pit road and operate the entrance light next race. Or Jeff Gordon, track the scoring loop data. Have a penalty box behind the stands that the drivers / chiefs / crew have to go to, and sign autographs or babysit all day during race day. Yea, I'm on a roll now..

Which is my clue to stop. writing and hit my publish key. Thanks for dropping by.

By Bruce Simmons, the Fan Reporter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, but I need to moderate to keep my spammer fans out of the comment zone....