Friday, June 13, 2008

Loose in Turn 3 for June 13, 2008

Welcome everyone to another rendition of our weekend pondering blog series. I’m joined here by Tim Zaegel of DoYouNASCAR and Charlie Turner from On Pit Row for our weekly rendition of “Loose in Turn Three”.

So another Pocono race has come and gone. And we will be treated to yet one more race there seven races later. Pocono just doesn't do it for me and obviously the owners aren't going anywhere anytime soon and their method of repairs seem to be strips of repair as opposed to total repaving projects like other tracks have done in the recent past.

If NASCAR retains two races at the facility, (And I don't see why they won't) I have to wonder if the track management should at least repave the track or is there something they can do to change up the action?

My thought is that it would be nice if they repaved the track. It might make for a wee bit closer racing. Heck, I'd would not even be against installing gradient banking in the corners and a dogleg out of turn 1 (turns 1/2?). Guys?

Charlie: What was wrong with Sunday's race? Did that short stretch of one turn that was patched cause the race to be bad? It was a great 500 mile race. 500 mile races, in 100 degree heat, are not enjoyed by any driver who doesn't finish first. Would re-paving improve the race track? It would make it smoother - and more of a tire tire which would piss off everybody who didn't finish first - again.

TZ: I've gotta go with Charlie on this one. I really didn't think that the racing was all that bad. It could've been better, but it wasn't bad. And, yeah, I think they could probably repave, but that would cost them a ton of money, I'm sure, with as big as the track is. But, really, I'm okay with them just leaving this one be.


Follow the rest of our discussion:

Charlie Turner - On Pit Row
- Would requiring race tracks that host multiple races, to have different race lengths for each race resolve the complaints of those who want to take races away from the Poconos and Californias?

Tim Zaegel - DoYouNASCAR
- Assuming that he was seriously contemplating the move, do the recent penalties awarded to Haas CNC Racing deter Tony Stewart from pursuing future ownership with that organization?

1 comment:

  1. To add a little something extra to this conversation, Bruce, I think that once these teams REALLY start to figure out this new car, I'd be willing to bet that Pocono is one of those tracks that will really benefit. The COT seems to really take to these bigger tracks much better than the old cars did, and that patch they laid down is great. They just need to figure out how to make the bottom groove in Turn 3 adequate.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry, but I need to moderate to keep my spammer fans out of the comment zone....