Thursday, July 10, 2008

David Reutimann to Petty Enterprises?

Reutimann to Petty?  by Bruce Simmons

Over on Yahoo Sports, they're reporting a tiny tidbit with no real substance (yet) that David Reutimann will be announced as the replacement driver for Kyle Petty in the No. 45 car.

Interesting.  That would give Reutimann the team partner of Bobby Labonte.

My first take was, why?  I don't immediately see this.  But then I started thinking.  (I hate when that happens.)

  • Petty Enterprises has a new owner who's probably going to be very aggressive in getting the team back in the spotlight.
  • Kyle Petty (No disrespect meant here) is an awesome addition to the broadcast booth, and has not been able to get the car too far away from the 35th spot in owners points.
  • New blood in the team would be great.
  • Does Reutimann have a future in the struggling Waltrip Toyota shop?
  • UPS is headed to RCR

Right now, I've argued myself into believing this tidbit.
  • I wish Kyle would have had the chance to do nothing more than just drive the car.  The one year he stepped down from running the shop and driving the car, he did better than all the years he tried both.
  • Waltrip's Toyota shop should be doing much better than it is.  Toyota is now a proven winning commodity (JGR) and Waltrip racing has no real excuse and yet they languish more than I'd like to see.
So now we wait.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, but I need to moderate to keep my spammer fans out of the comment zone....