Saturday, July 12, 2008

Should Presidential Campaigns Come To NASCAR Hoods?

by Bruce Simmons :

In yet another unique sponsorship idea, BAM had offered some NASCAR Cup sponsorship time to Barack Obama's presidential campaign bid. They've even put out offers to John McCain's camp and one other party.

But at this time, we will not be seeing presidential bids on the hoods of any NASCAR Cup cars.

And rightfully so.

For one, I'm guessing no candidate wants to look like they're hard wired into supporting any one NASCAR team. It might say too much about their affiliations and it might alienate them from other demographics, and as we all know, winning an election is more about the projected image than fact.

Face it, people outside the sport continue to think it's filled with rednecks. I got that 'tude from someone just yesterday, and all I could say was "The only bass-ackwards attitude I see is yours buddy." That went over well with my co-worker, but I don't care. If you walk around with blinders, I'm going to "gently" remove them for you!

Besides, I think if we started seeing campaigns on car hoods, it would open a can of worms and suddenly every election in the country would be pouring in to take advantage of the situation. It would probably be good for teams for sponsor money, but it doesn't feel right to me. As one person put it that I overheard the other day, it just wouldn't look right to have someone's head on the hood of a car. I can't disagree with that.

That's my thought.

Inspiration: Boston.com
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, but I need to moderate to keep my spammer fans out of the comment zone....