Thursday, September 13, 2007

NASCAR Chase for the Cup Last 10 Races


So here it is, the 2007 Chase for the Nextel Cup. Who's gonna take the championship this year? I don't really want a second Jimmie Johnson diecast in my collection, but the odds are on Jimmie, with his latest momentum and track record for this time of year that is hard to ignore.

Jeff Gordon has been here before, contending for a championship, and though he and his team hit their stride early on, missed it a bit in the middle then looks like they're coming on strong again, I don't feel confident in his opportunities, but barring performance woes, then I think he's the man to beat.

Tony Stewart can light it up and show everyone who's boss, but if Kurt Busch keeps the momentum he's got that got him back up into the top 12, then we could see a Kurt-peat performance. Face it, he can win the thing while still losing a wheel down the front stretch!!

Of course, Matt Kenseth could just as easily come in third every single race and show how consistency can make a difference as opposed to Kevin Harvick's, hot / cold performances.

I don't think Carl Edwards has the experience to do this in 2007, only because I've seen him get anxious in situations that he's new too, and his anxiety gets the best of him.

Denny Hamlin... Now Denny could be the dark horse because he's got the power plant to prove it, if he doesn't blow up. Again, it's that blowing up thing that keeps me guessing while everyone may still be contending with the unleaded fuel balances.

For one reason or another, I clump Kyle Busch, Martin Truex Jr., Jeff Burton and Clint Bowyer in the same caboose, as these guys have taken 2nd fiddle to the others throughout the year.

I think Jimmie or Jeff is going to take this thing to the bank. Half the races are COT events and Hendricks has that platform down pat. But I sure would love to see one of my caboose choices barrel past everyone for the surprise trophy!!

Especially Clint Bowyer. He's been the quietest contender in the bunch and could literally sneak right on in there if no one is looking out for him.

Jeff Burton would probably be the most popular win of all these guys because I don't think anyone ever boo's Jeff.

Well, we now have 10 races to watch, wait, ponder, and hopefully not bite off too many fingernails, though as seems to be the case across the board with the media, this has the potential to be a close contest! And that is what NASCAR has banked this whole chase format on, close contests and better ratings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, but I need to moderate to keep my spammer fans out of the comment zone....