Friday, August 22, 2008

Chevron Says 'Later! to NASCAR

After 20 years of being in NASCAR, Ganassi has ticked off Chevron and away they go!

OK, that might be a bad joke, but this can be chalked up to more signs of the times. One more, thought to be mainstay sponsor of NASCAR is taking it's leave or changing how it's spending it advertising dollars, to be more exact after the close of their 2008 contract.

Chevron said it would pursue new marketing strategies for its Texaco and Havoline brands, with a focus on local and regional marketing programs.

Ouch, and here I thought national exposure would be the kicker. Actually, from what I've learned of recent months is that some oil companies actually have regionally demographic named products that don't even seem related, but they are.

For instance one company has Chevron, Texaco and Caltex.
Then there's Exxon, Mobil and Esso.

These are the mainstream names... a few months back I came across an article, and I can't for the life of me remember the company, but they market under a couple of different names per region in one state, so I guess we gotta accept the deal and hope everyone makes out OK in the long run.

I guess that means that the most dedicated sponsor supporting fan base gets to take their business to Sunoco or Shell... then we'll see where Chevron stands after this decision. My guess, they'll be back in late '09 or 2010.


source

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry, but I need to moderate to keep my spammer fans out of the comment zone....